NEW: June 2021 AuditionsThe Capital Hearings are holding auditions for Bass 2s and Alto 2s! We’re looking for versatile singers ready to tackle a wide range of classical choral, vocal jazz, and contemporary a cappella repertoire. Email email@example.com if interested.
For all other voice parts, please complete our audition inquiry form here to express interest in future openings.
Important Info for June 2021 Auditionees:
- All auditionees should hold Saturday June 26, 5:00-7:30 p.m. for callback auditions. However, please note that Thursday is our normal rehearsal night.
- Auditionees must be fully vaccinated (honor system). Our ensemble is fully vaccinated and has resumed in-person rehearsals, consistent with CDC’s May 13 guidance that “singing in an indoor chorus” is safe for fully vaccinated singers.
- Our fall concert is on Saturday October 23, 2021. Participation is required.
- Our summer retreat is July 16-18, 2021 from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. Auditionees with a retreat scheduling conflict will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All retreat costs are covered by the organization with no expense for singers.
First-round auditions are scheduled in 20-minute slots and conducted by the music director. Auditions will involve range testing, ear exercises, and some melodic and rhythmic sight-reading. Auditionees should also prepare a solo in a non-classical style (pop, rock, jazz, etc.) that shows off your musical skills and stage presence. No accompanist will be provided so you should be prepared to perform the solo a cappella.
Callback auditionees will join the full group for a rehearsal. They will prepare two pieces provided by the group, rehearse them with the group, and then perform their parts in a quartet with three current members. The music will be provided in advance, but memorization is not required. Callback auditionees should plan to stay for the full duration of the callback rehearsal/audition.
About The Group
We are a mixed a cappella ensemble of young professionals. Our members include several former collegiate a cappella music directors, and many members perform in Washington’s larger choruses, have church choir jobs, and/or work as arts professionals.
Our ensemble has received multiple Washington Area Music Award (WAMMIE) nominations, and our albums have received honors from the Recorded A Cappella Review Board (RARB) and the Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards (CARAs). We have performed at venues including the Kennedy Center, Strathmore, the National Portrait Gallery, the Phillips Collection, the Embassies of Canada and Switzerland, the Watergate, the Washington Convention Center, the U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory, and on Capitol Hill.
Rehearsals are held in Woodley Park every other Thursday evening during the fall and spring, increasing to weekly during the summer and as performance opportunities require. Performances include a major concert in the early fall, several holiday performances in December, and other events throughout the year. We also spend 2-3 weekends per year together for retreats or to perform at festivals.
We Look For Members Who:
- Are comfortable singing in both classical choral and non-classical styles. Experience with vocal jazz is a plus
- Are outstanding musicians and ensemble singers, with an ear for blend, diction, and style in an a cappella setting
- Possess excellent sight-reading skills and the ability to learn music independently
- Enjoy a collaborative group environment with opportunities to contribute a wide range of talents
- Are strong soloists in any style
- Bring directing, arranging, and/or vocal percussion experience
- Are interested in sharing additional talents: arts or nonprofit management, sound, video, design, choreography, etc.